Friday, May 19, 2006

Live Review: Richard Hawley

Even with exams the next day, I decided to be consistent and prioritize music over studying in order to see Richard Hawley at the Shepherd's Bush Empire last night, and boy am I glad I did.

To start out with, lets make it clear that I've never been the country/Elvis/Johnny Cash/old-school rock type. But trust a Brit to make it more than palatable. Sheffield-born Richard Hawley's (ex-guitarist for the band Pulp) new album "Coles Corner" is desperately angsty yet simply beautiful.



So of course I caught him on tour (unfortunately neglecting to bring my camera, unfortunately no live pictures, sorry folks!) Not only was he fabulous in concert - he was quite the comedian as well! He is really a natural on stage, and seemed quite gracious to have moved his way up to the Shepherd's Bush venue.

The setlist was great - performed my favorites from Coles Corner as well as some really great old rock that I wish I remembered so I could download. Fabulous vibe going during the encore.

Enough cannot be said about the magesty of Hawley's voice - smooth and rich, reminiscent of classic Roy Orbison (come to think of it, I hope everyone knows Roy Orbison's AMAZING 1962 song "Crying"? If not, download below.) The lyrics and moods of the songs are sweet and melancholy and really take you to the place he's trying to show you.

As Q magazine put it, "If he remains overlooked after a record this heartfelt then well, perhaps there really isn't a God after all."



So on to songs. "Coles Corner" is my favorite, beautiful strings section, crooning lyrics, absolutely perfect.

"(Wading Through) The Waters of My Time" is classic country, but really well done. Its hard to explain (perhaps its just the similar glasses after all) but Richard Hawley seems to me the musical equivalent of Alan Rickman - a class act, beautifully structured, professional and serious, yet with that extra something that just puts it over the top. I hope that makes sense - if not, blame it on my love for Alan Rickman.



"The Ocean" (which it turns out is dedicated to his [damnit] wife) flows magestically, building up slowly to another beautiful strings section. With the only complaint that it goes on a little long, I believe both "Coles Corner" and "The Ocean" demonstrate Hawley's ability to go beyond the Johnny Cash-esque quintessential country sound into broader and expanding horizons.

I really look forward to seeing where he goes from here.

It was really difficult deciding which songs to post here, once again. Other songs you should definitely check out are "Born Under A Bad Sign", "Darlin", "Hotel Room", and "Just Like the Rain", all off of his "Coles Corner" album. Do buy this album - it is glorious, magical, and utterly lovely. To find out more about Richard Hawley, visit his official website.

Download:

Coles Corner - Richard Hawley

(Wading Through) The Waters of My Time - Richard Hawley

The Ocean - Richard Hawley

Crying - Roy Orbison

Buy:

Coles Corner - Richard Hawley (Amazon)

Coles Corner - Richard Hawley (iTunes)

The Essential Roy Orbison (Amazon)

4 Comments:

Blogger Edward said...

I was going to say you'd forgotten to mention the jokes - but there, you did.

It was an impressive evening: I loved the old, old lap guitar.

Wed May 24, 01:17:00 am BST  
Blogger Brittany said...

He was genuinely funny - he even had good comebacks to the people in the audience who shouted things out, very impressive.

That ancient guitar was fabulous! Had such a cute history behind it as well!

Brittany
Meaning You Can Memorize

Thu May 25, 04:14:00 am BST  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

The two final songs were Hank Williams' amazing ballad "I'm so lonesome I could cry" and Elvis' "That's all right, mama" (his 1st single). Unforgettable show!

Tue Dec 05, 01:49:00 pm GMT  
Blogger Brittany said...

Ah thank you! Never thought I was going to find that out!

:) :) :)

Brittany
Meaning You Can Memorize

Tue Dec 05, 04:04:00 pm GMT  

Post a Comment

<< Home


"Got a hunger, can't seem to get full,
I need some meaning I can memorise,
The kind I have always seems to slip my         mind..."
                      -- Bright Eyes,
                  'Lover I Don't Have To Love'