Thursday, May 11, 2006

Featured Artist: K'Naan

I know, I thought the same thing as you probably will when I first introduce you to Somalian-born K'Naan. "Oh no, sounds like another dreary, Arts Council-approved world music rapper." But give him a chance - this is a much stronger, intelligent, muscular take on American hiphop - and it sounds good.



While puncturing rap cliches in Eminem-like fashion, K'Naan introduces us to a more global context - as someone who spent the first 13 years of his life in a Mogadishu war zone. At the same time, its catchy - cutting-edge production combined with a wall of hypnotic African percussion.

Two songs are posted for your sampling pleasure. "What's Hardcore?" is a poignant statement - looking at the "gangster" rappers of America and comparing them to the gruesome warfare thats currently going on in Somalia as well as other areas all over the world. "Smile" tells us to smile, even as we're bleeding - a deceptively catchy song despite its content.



If you're in London, try to catch K'Naan at Cargo on Sunday, sure to be one of the coolest hip hop gigs of the year - and this is coming from an indie kid.

Download:

What's Hardcore - K'Naan

Smile - K'Naan

Buy:

The Dusty Foot Philosopher - K'Naan (Amazon)

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home


"Got a hunger, can't seem to get full,
I need some meaning I can memorise,
The kind I have always seems to slip my         mind..."
                      -- Bright Eyes,
                  'Lover I Don't Have To Love'