Sunday, October 08, 2006

Feature: Jacaranda's "Museum of Sorrow"

As I step into Union Chapel, the first thing that occurs to me is "Why the hell am I in a Church at all - never mind on a random Friday night?" This thought is quickly replaced by a much pleasanter one - "Well, whatever reason I'm here, you absolutely cannot say this place lacks atmosphere!"

The sorrowful beauty of the place was silently stunning. But not silent for long as a sound check began with some experimental electronica...

This was the "Museum of Sorrow", an evening put together by the artistic collaborative Jacaranda Pictures, "curating a programme in various acts of quiet melancholy and joy" - a combination of music, film and performance, being webcast live all over the world. What can I say - when it comes to good arts and music, when it rains it pours. It was the purely eccentric nature of the event which motivated me to go, and I was already glad I had.



With small tea candles glowing and flickering on the ledges of the balcony level of the beautiful and imposing Union Chapel, and well-orchestrated lighting gently illuminating the columns and arches, a spooky stage was set for something truly unique. And I do mean unique - how often do you see horse-headed men, exotic costumed ushers, trance/techno music, folk songwriters, puppet shows, tap dancing to the Smiths, and a bar serving alcoholic drinks in one place - forget about in a beautiful Medieval-style church?

The evening came in a Prologue and Three Acts. The Prologue of interesting thought-provoking films was quite good. Papa November, the experimental electronica band, were (I'm sure) quite good, but that stuff REALLY just is not my cup of tea, and it went on for ages.



There was a both comical and awe-inspiring magic act, then a performance by Lucienne Cole - a single woman who tap-danced to "Heaven Knows I'm Miserable Now" by the Smiths, then a puppet show explaining the concept behind the Museum of Sorrow. The latter was really clever, witty, funny, and impressive. While I won't go into great detail, and run the risk of misinterpreting the entire idea - it seems like the Museum of Sorrow is the place where things that might be dead in the real world (in our mass media society) go to be preserved for the future - ie. a way of saving our dying arts and culture!!! Great stuff.

A tiny clip of the tap-dancing to the Smiths:


As for the other bands/acts:

While I might not be the "folk" type, I was wholly entranced by Ginger Lee, the adorable experimental folk singer also of the highly regarded Bat For Lashes.

Joe Volk was also quite excellent, another singer-songwriter from Bristol who sat there with his guitar and quietly worked his way into our subconscious. Highly recommended.

Bela Emerson, a one woman act, improvised on cello some of the most amazing, winding, trance-like melodies I've ever heard. I found it so soothing that I began involuntarily meditating during this! It was quite relaxing.



Finally, the Third Act, which was Circulus, a Medieval-tinged acid-folk/prog-rock group. A beautiful sunny singer and band, all dressed in full Medieval regalia took the stage and played both modern (but Medieval-inspired) music and actual Medieval folk tunes - like an Italian folk song from the 14th century. Whatever it was, it was fabulous. I applaud them:



a) For taking the stage with confidence. Frontman Michael Tyack seems to favour slim-fitting kaftans and writing songs such as "Power to the Pixies" and "Dragon's Dance, while cueing fellow bandmates to raise their arms to the sky before beginning their act, which includes various medieval instruments. They also claim to believe in fairies and pixies. Need I say more?

b) For the originality of the music - I wasn't sure at first but by the end of the set I was absolutely sold, and even proceeded to invest in buying their album (which I will review at a later date.)

A short snippet (ignore sound as its recorded via camerphone so you can't make out anything) of the Circulus performance to give you the idea:


Note: To the drunken idiots in front of me who tried to repeatedly heckle and make fun of what they perceived as a dorky "Lord of the Rings" band: You were not funny. You are not cool. This is not high school. Go get some self-confidence, talent, and personality so you can do your own thing instead of trying to take others (who are doing so) down.

Glad to have gotten that out of my system.

Well, what more can I say?

Damn splendid way to spend an evening!


Jacaranda's Museum of Sorrow was one in a series of live webcasts - to see what you've missed, check out this link here. Unfortunately, not sure you can see the shows after they've been broadcasted live! (Feel free to correct me on this...)

Oh and my apologies for not having better video and pictures on this but I showed up completely unprepared. Next time I swear!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home


"Got a hunger, can't seem to get full,
I need some meaning I can memorise,
The kind I have always seems to slip my         mind..."
                      -- Bright Eyes,
                  'Lover I Don't Have To Love'