Friday, May 26, 2006

HMV Oxford Street: Guillemots, Jackie DeShannon

So much to catch up on, sorry for the slight break, it is exam time after all! I even managed to miss Jackie DeShannon's London gig and the Howling Bells @ King's College, both yesterday.

However, I did catch the Guillemots as well as Jackie DeShannon at the HMV Oxford Street on Tuesday.



The Guillemots played a truly fabulous set - everything from "Made Up Lovesong #43" to "Who Left the Lights Off Baby?", they were really fantastic. The audience (half of whom probably just walked into the store and caught the show) seemed to take really well to them.

Fyfe's face was hilarious when he later realized he was being put on the big screen behind him.



Oh and ya see that blue thing on its own stand, centre-stage? That's a typewriter. Yes. A typewriter. Fabulous for percussion.



As I was about to leave I realized Jackie DeShannon was on next. You would know her (most likely) from her hit "What the World Needs Now" (a Burt Bacharach tune) or "Put A Little Love in Your Heart", which she wrote herself. You probably wouldn't know, however, that she also penned "Everytime You Walk Into The Room" and "Needles and Pins", two classic 1960s hits for the Searchers. I would put "Needles and Pins" up there on the "20 Greatest Pop Songs of All Time" list that I will get around to posting one of these days.

Here's the video I took of her performing an acoustic version of "Needles and Pins" :

(EDIT: Sorry about the sound and video going off sync - its not like that in my original file, anyone know how to fix this?)



For your further music education, check out the Searchers versions of the two above mentioned songs, as well as Jackie DeShannon's biggest hits, "Put A Little Love In Your Heart" and "What The World Needs Now." She was one of the foremost and probably earliest female folk rock singers.

OK, history lesson over now!

Download:

What The World Needs Now - Jackie DeShannon

Put A Little Love In Your Heart - Jackie DeShannon

Needles and Pins - The Searchers

Everytime That You Walk Into The Room - The Searchers

Buy:

What the World Needs Now Is...Jackie DeShannon:
The Definitive Collection
(Amazon)

The Searchers Greatest: 20 Fabulous Hits of the 60s (Amazon)

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home


"Got a hunger, can't seem to get full,
I need some meaning I can memorise,
The kind I have always seems to slip my         mind..."
                      -- Bright Eyes,
                  'Lover I Don't Have To Love'