Monday, March 27, 2006

Thrice the Same Song: I Put A Spell On You

MYCM's recommendation of the week: I Put A Spell On You.

A fantastic song in itself, its been redone many many times. Here are our three favorite versions:

1) Screamin' Jay Hawkins: The original. This interpretation is a scary, creepy, stalker guy who wants this girl really badly. Slightly insane, laughing madly, and very possessive.



2) Nina Simone: The deep, lusty woman longing to capture her man. At the same time, she's laying down the line - she wears the pants in this relationship.



3) Alan Price (of The Animals): The mystical, slightly baroque or medieval, organ-heavy, version. Our favorite, this man is sad but not desperate, in love but not possessive, slightly defeated but still not giving up. And perhaps a tad in denial.



Download:

I Put A Spell On You - Screamin' Jay Hawkins
I Put A Spell On You - Nina Simone
I Put A Spell On You - Alan Price

Buy:

Voodoo Jive: The Best of Screamin' Jay Hawkins (Amazon)
Anthology - Nina Simone (Amazon)
The Alan Price Set (Amazon)

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home


"Got a hunger, can't seem to get full,
I need some meaning I can memorise,
The kind I have always seems to slip my         mind..."
                      -- Bright Eyes,
                  'Lover I Don't Have To Love'